Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dominicana

I've noticed that I don't put much about being a Dominican on here, but can you blame me? No one blogs about being 1/3 native american or being 1/5 irish. It's a part of who we are, its natural, it's not something we think about on a continual basis. It does come up however, especially when I am holding a strawberry-blonde, blue-eyed baby that is supposedly my nephew.

I found this blog of a girl born in the states but moved to Italy, and reading what she posts on the cross cultural differences is great. I recently read this one, and I love the way she puts it. About women serving men when it comes to cooking and other kitcheny things. I've seen it my whole life in my family and sometimes it makes me want to marry a southerner so that he WILL go get the bread himself occasionally. But when I think about it, she's right. I want to serve. That's the way the women in our culture show their love. And she's right in the post how the men would be lost without them. Ha.  Now I'm not saying my dad is a total pushover or helpless, he does lay down the law, but he would really suffer without her. Aside from losing the love of his life, I don't think he could really survive on Tostitos and salsa regardless of what he says.

Anyways I'm not writing this to talk about how I want to be a kitchen maid my whole life. Just that I really love my family and culture and I hope to keep that regardless of who I do or don't marry, regardless of where I live and who's around me. It's true that most of my spirit is southern. I grew up in the the South, but I cant deny the Dominican part of me. It's in my blood... and I like it that way.

p.s. If you didn't read the post, read it, she explains the whole serving thing waaaaaaay better.

No comments:

Post a Comment