Thursday, July 4, 2013

One too many...

It's high time I posted about food eh?

I've had a revelation. Sometimes, there can be.......too many..........flavors.

WHAT!?

Yes, It's true.

The other day I made this sandwich



Beautiful isn't it?
 It was so tall that it couldn't stand up (the bread was really skinny). Turns out though, that I had put so many different things in it all jumbled up together that I couldn't taste anything distinct. I ended up taking out the avocados and eating them separately so I could enjoy them. They were drowning under all the other flavors. Lesson learned.

Just because all these things taste good...


...does not mean they should all go together at the same time. (For the record, I did NOT put all those things in my sandwich.)


We have to find the right balance when it comes to combining flavors. I guess that's where all the experience comes in for Chefs and all other brilliant cooks. Like the guy who invented this awesome pizza.


I can't remember what it was called, but that is not a Supreme pizza my friends. It has different meats and veggies that tasted good together, but not ALL you have ever heard of.  It was perfect unlike the Supreme, which to me, is another one of those what I now call, Flavor Bombs. 
Next time you are cooking, don't just throw everything on your spice rack in the pot. We don't want an avalanche of flavors, just a nice steady roll. 

NOW DON'T GET ME WRONG.
I'm not saying to stop trying new flavors and combining things you thought wouldn't go. By all means add some sweet to your sour. Mix that salt with your pepper. How will you ever know when you have too many flavors if you never try any of them together? My sandwich was still good... after I took out a few things.
Yet, I would have never known what to keep had I not TRIED it. 

So when you're cooking, use all the flavors you want to make a colorful picture for your mouth...just try to avoid a gray blob. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment